4.25.2010

Curls for a Gal on the Go

Wooohoooo! I got my first post from someone I don't know. That's right, folks. I'm so excited about it, that I'm writing my first post in 4 months. As the youngest girl in a large family, I think I clearly need positive reinforcement to produce. Oh, what we learn in life...

Dear Anonymous,

You may be an acquaintance only trying to facelessly cuddle my ego, and you may truly be a stranger who has stumbled upon my videos and blog. Either way, I thank you for bringing a smile to my face and a fire to my ass.

And where did I go? Nowhere, really; I just got lazy. I have a variety of creative pursuits, and seem to get ahead of myself, occasionally. I have a bunch of hair videos, waiting to be edited and posted, so if my boyfriend will help with with the tech side of that--you better believe they'll get posted :)

In regards to your questions: if you want curls that last longer than 20 minutes, I would first follow up by asking you: "What kind of curls?" That said, an extensive exercise of hot rollers or sponge rollers might be the way to go. But if you have 10 minutes to get ready in the morning, like I do, you may want something a little more efficient. For that, I suggest the following:

Preheat your curling iron. (around 1" barrel)

1. Tease your hair like a a mad woman (this is usually step one for anything).
2. Spray the teased roots from about 6 inches with a hard-hold hairspray; I recommend Hardhead by TIGI or one of the Big Sexy Hair hairsprays.
3. Brush your hair through lightly. Now you've distributed the "gunkiness" throughout, so your fine hair actually has some toughness to it.
4. By now, your curling iron is nice and hot. I suggest curing irons by Hot Tools. They're really cheap, they do the job well, and they last forever. Grab vertical sections of your hair. Since your hair is thin, Anonymous, you can grab sections about 1.5 inches wide and 3-4 inches long. If some second reader out ther has thick hair, I'd go with 1" by 2", but use your own discretion.
5. Hold hair in the iron for a good 2 or three seconds, remove the iron, and spray the curl, now from about 8-12 inches away. You can even curl a few sections and then spray 2 or 3 at once. Whatever you do, DO NOT pull the curl out. It is very important for the curl to cool in as tight a position as possible, for the integrity/longevity of it's shape.
6. Repeat all over (Note: Experiment with different directions (ie facing forward v. backward) that flatter your face. As a general rule, curls going away from your face are going to be more flattering, but this isn't 100% accurate).
7. Give your hair a final spray and position curls however they need. You may want to pin a few pieces back and out of your face, or you may want to leave it all down. I almost always find that leaving it entirely down looks dowdy, but it really depends on the cut.


Hope that was helpful, and if I'm lucky enough to receive a comment, I'll even tell you how to put your hair back if it's too short for quick manageability :)


Best,

Amanda

11 comments:

  1. It's so nice to hear from you again! Such a pleasant surprise to see this in my reader. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hopped over to your blog today to see if I was lucky enough to get another post (as I was anonymous from Friday, and was hoping you'd be inspired enough to share more).

    For starters, I want you to know I thought of you a million times Saturday, in the most un-creepy way possible. Let me elaborate. I am 23, and have forever been blessed with the most lifeless hair possible. In high school, I used to curl my hair EVERY morning just to have a wonderful first 30 minutes of the day with some waves at the end of my hair. At some point, I gave that up and resorted to root-lifting moose only to quit that, too, after finding I never quite acquired the talent of just how much to put in and where. I cut my hair very short a little over a year ago, and am just now getting past my jaw line. Its getting heavier and more lifeless with each passing day.

    I started browsing the web Friday in hopes of answers. In the past, I've always found blogs, videos, pictures, etc. of what I wanted my hair to do, but it was always from girls with thick hair, or hair with so much body you couldn't get curls to fall out if you begged them to. Then I found your blog.

    Saturday morning I planned to spend the day with my sister - she just had a baby and is moving to Montana this coming weekend for 5 months. Her husband is stationed there for some job he's doing (irrelevant...). I woke up early to try straightening my hair with my metal round brush. The day started out well, but they always do, right? Its the lasting effect I always hoped for, so this day wasn't unlike any other. As I said goodbye to my boyfriend, he said "Your hair looks good today." I smiled the biggest smile. Guys never notice those little changes, and I hadn't told him of my test.

    I started the hour and a half trek to my sisters, only to notice more than half way there how bouncy my hair felt. I could literally feel space between my hair and my scalp. Well, that's how it seemed, anyway. And I have NEVER felt that before! I kinda did the head shake back and forth to feel it brush along my neckline. I could clearly tell it hadn't become a flat mess. I said a quiet little thanks to you.
    Nearly to my sisters I stopped on the side of the road to pick some pretty pink flowers (probably weeds, actually), and bore the strong winds to run up the hill. "Well, there goes my hair" I thought. NOPE! I got in the car and fluffed it a little, and it still had life! Thanks #2.
    I made it back to my house at about 2am Sunday morning. I did a quick check in the mirror to see how I'd fared for the day, and my hair still looked as marvelous as it had that morning. I absolutely cannot believe all I've been missing these years is to let the heat set over my round brush. Seriously. Ridiculous.
    Anyway, a many thanks, again, and I'll be testing out the hair curling trick as soon as I get some rollers. Its on my list.

    Most importantly, though, you should keep blogging. I totally understand the laziness bit. I started my blog some time ago to encourage myself to work on taking pictures (something I love to do), and to keep up with friends who've moved far away...here I am over 6 months later, and maybe 5 posts deep. Not that I'm not interested, but there are so many things that DO interest me, I feel this is just another task. I suggested to my sister this weekend she should keep a blog while she's in Montana so the family can watch her little guy grow. I realized in that conversation that a blog shouldn't be another project/interest on the list, it should be the avenue to bring all your projects together!! I promised her if she'd start a blog, I'd get back to mine. We'll see how that goes!

    You may not always have stuff to say, but you're clever, and you've got stuff that other people want: answers. I'll check back in now and again, maybe give a question or two. But I promise my hair has changed for life! Thanks a million, and may all of us out in blog-land be inspired :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, and I trimmed my bangs too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. It is so hard to relate to other expert video/blogs since they always center around women with thick hair. Thanks for helping out the women with thinner hair (like me).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Well I´m new here, found your blog via youtube! I don´t have any specific question for you, just wanted to pass by and tell you I loved your video on how to create volume with a flat iron, it really help me!
    I will sure continue reading your blog and watching your videos!
    XOXO
    Totallypinkaholic

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have 4 little boys (aged 9 mths, 2,5 and 7), and for me to get into a hair salon is physically impossible. I got my first computer (ever) for Christmas last year and only figured out what a "blog" was when my 7 year son came home from grade 1 a few months ago and said he made one in computer lab at school!. So anyway, I am usually pretty happy at the end of the day if my 4 kids are happy and fed, but as I was uploading the pictures of my 7 year old's birthday party (from 2 weeks ago) I was horrified at how aweful my hair looked! Since it is impossible to get into a hair salon with my "pack" in tow, I decided that I would try to at least cut some bangs to hide my high forehead. So I googled "cut my own hair" and stumbled accross your video on how to cut your bangs. All I can say is how thankful I am that you have taken the time to do this video! I have watched part 1 and 11 three times while nursing my youngest (and I'm now going to attempt the cut while the other 3 are still asleep. It's 6:35 a.m. I unfortuntely don't have even $40 scissors, but I'm using the best ones we have in the house (small, but sharp ones my boys are NOT allowed to even go near). I am so thankful for the videos that you put out there and will definately be checking your blog again to see what new tips you will be putting out! My hair is very fine with this weird "body".

    p.s. if I could afford to fly you to Vancouver, Canada to come to my home and cut my hair I would ... this is a fantastic business idea and I wish someone would do it here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! I just realized I actually have comments. WOOHOOO! Score! I will respond shortly, cyber friends! (as in in a couple days, promise...) As for Daley, who posted in April, I SO APPOLOGIZE that I just saw you comments and haven't responded. Will soon.

    Yay blog community of 4!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Daley,

    Your post! You are so thoughtful and well-spoken, it's ridiculous. So seeing as your comments were from back in April, I ought to ask - have you started to blog again? If so, I would most certainly be interested in following yours! Montana, huh? My boyfriend's best friend lives there. In Bozeman. Anywho. Thanks, and I'm so glad my tips have made a difference!

    To your hair,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Anonymous in Vancouver,

    I'll first offer similar sentiments that I did on Daley's post, with a big heartfelt "Thank you!" It's incredibly heartwarming to know that my videos have been of help to you. I'm actually no longer doing hair professionally, but with my new time, I am hoping to contribute to the blog more regularly. And in only a few months I'll be living in the same city as my boyfriend (Chief Technology Officer of Amanda Jane Hair :) ), which means I'll be doing more videos. Feel free to throw out suggestions of things you'd like to learn about. Maybe I'll even do some men's or kid's haircuts to help you with your sons' hair. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Uh oh. I think you're suggesting that I be the subject of your men's hair video.

    Jeff
    CTO of Amanda Jane Hair

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've put you through worse, right?

    ReplyDelete