8.05.2009

Swamp Thing: An Ode to New York Weather


I'm finally learning why you never really hear about a New York summer unless you live here. As a non-native New Yorker, my childhood ideas of this city were filled with scenes from a snowy Miracle on 34th Street, while those of my awkward adolescence were scattered with cheesy romances set in orange, red, and yellow along the Hudson (see Autumn in New York, really bad movie with Richard Gere and Winona Ryder). Somehow, the city's summer is never glorified. Ocassionally, a New York summer has provided a fantastically-clad Carrie Bradshaw an opportunity to wear weird mismatched clothing (see that great episode where she goes out with Bon Jovi and plays twister in stilettos and a crazy blue vest).
But truly, her scant clothing would be suitable for any summer anywhere. Then you (ok, really I mean I) move to New York and learn why you don't see NY summer weather in pop media much. It's becuase it SUCKS. If anyone knew how much a New York summer sucks, they would not want to move here. Fortunately, I fell in love with the city before learning how entirely icky this season is. Had I moved here in July, I would have trekked back to JFK and taken the next flight home. But New York and I are in a committed relationship, and I accept her nasty nasty humidity along with her gorgeous holiday chill.

So in this odd summer weather bash, but ode to NYC, I am sharing these just-for-fun pictures from a photo shoot I did last year in Santa Barbara with Keana Parker, a talented editorial photographer with lots of vision. The idea was "supermodel in the wild," and I think the hair I made out of spray painted extensions actually evoke a bit of a swampy quality, intermingled with high urban chic. Because of my love affair with this city, I am embracing it's nasty tropic heat, and having fun with one hot swamp thing!


No comments:

Post a Comment