8.29.2009

Beauty and the Beast



I'm feeling inspired to share with you the sentiment that really started this blog. I realized that I likely haven't put my philosophy out there in straight-forward terms. (See "The Real Life of Buddah," for the allegorical version).

I am sick and tired of snarky celeb gossip about who has bad bangs, and whose weave is showing the tracks, or why Britney's color is as tragic as a life of childhood stardom. Of course these sites are funny, and often incredibly witty, but they're also just making our culture's embrace of natural beauty more of an uphill battle than it already is.

I want to have a blog, a discussion, and a celebration about how beautiful we all are, exactly as we are. I color my hair red and copper, because I think it's fun. For me, changing my natural hair is really more about creativity than it is self-rejection. For some, it might be the the latter.

But we are all beautiful, and the only thing beastly about us, is our insistence that we are anything other than fabulous! So this post is simply an ode to your beauty, a clarification of The Aesthetic Ascetic's angle, and a celebration of creativity. Whatever you do with your hair, do it because it makes you feel more like you!

And....a little How-To-ing for the Hair-Curious never hurt, of course :)

Thank you, friends for joinging my followers list (I appreciate your support as I figure out how the hell to do this blog thing), and check out this inspiring hair blog I found today: The Locked Hair Blog Exchange, about women of color who say "no" to chemical relaxer!

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with your philosophy! I am a hairstylist too, not currently working as one though. But I always say, once a hairstylist always a hairstylist! I Just found your blog and you tube videos today and have thoroughly enjoyed them! You should post more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Melissa Ann! Thanks for the kind words. It's rather auspicious that you would say "once a hairstylist always a hairstylist" to me today of all days, because I just decided to leave it behind! I may post more videos just for shits and giggles, but at present--Oh, so may creative endeavors beckon!! Thanks again for sharing the love--I checked out your blog, too, and I must say--go you! Love it!

    A

    ReplyDelete